Sunday 13 April 2014

My thoughts on being Censorship and being Autistic

Last year I had a bad experience in a group which was meant to be for Autistic people but oddly there was an NT person running it. This of course raised a red flag for me. I now have hindsight about the situation which happened in this group and realise now why the person involved reacted the way they did. This was the comment I posted in the group. I can clearly see that I too over-reacted to the situation due to what was going on in my life at the time. However, my thoughts on censorship are still valid. 

'I have decided to leave this group because I do not feel safe or welcome here. I asked a genuine question regarding something and my comment was deleted. I do not like the fact there is censorship here because I personally believe that censorship makes it extremely difficult for Autistic people to understand the world and how it works. If we don't ask questions, how will we ever know or understand why things are the way they are. There is no harm in asking genuine honest questions which I did and my comment was deleted. I no longer feel safe here. I am sorry it has come to this.'

I do not understand how the world works so I need to ask questions in order to learn and understand how it works. Not allowing me a safe space to learn how the world works is not conducive to learning.

I have a thirst for knowledge and desire to grow to be a better person. If I ask you about something, please do not get offended. I am genuinely confused and desperately need to understand. Having my questions silenced or deleted is censorship and it inhibits my understanding and learning of the world. That is not ok with me. Listen to me and respect me. Learn my language. I have a different way of looking at the world and speak a different language. Please don't place your assumptions and ideas of language onto me. It inhibits my voice and invalidates my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't have to agree with all that I am writing about, however please refrain from name-calling, belittling, and bullying. That will not be tolerated here. Thank you.